Monday, March 1, 2010

Making Cheese

On Sunday I watched a cheese making demonstration on making Mozzarella. Today, I am going to try and make my own. It was pretty easy so I think it will be a success. I bought the rennet, citric acid and cheese cloth after the demonstration. I need to pick up some calcium chloride too. It helps the milk turn to curd better. It's not mandatory but it makes the over processed mild work. I should have picked up mesophilic culture too since so many cheese recipes require it.

I will take pictures and let you know how it goes.

Last week I made a very simple soft goat cheese similar to Brousse. It was very tasty!

I may start volunteering at a small goat farm a few miles down the road too. They have many Nubian and Nigerian Dwarf goats. They make goat's milk soap at the farm and also raises rabbits, Guinea pigs, Llamas, zebu cattle, beef cattle and sheep.

Should be a great learning experience for me.

1 comment:

Becca's Dirt said...

That sounds like a fun and dirty job. I would love doing something like that. Good luck on the cheese making. I'm gonna stick with what walmart sells.