Friday, November 13, 2009

Oh, a planting we will go!

Just planted three large flat rate boxes worth of bulbs. 26 var. of daffs and 11 var. of tulips. Mom had already gotten the allium, crocus, hyacinth, , Casa Blanca lilies, muscari and other miscellaneous bulbs put in plus many more daffs and tulips. I got a bit carried away this year and ordered several hundred to many, as I do every year.



Mom has been creating some new beds while I've been gone. In the spring we will widen these and refine the shapes a bit. She has been tilling in tons of leaves so at this point I think there is more leaves than soil. It's really nice and fluffy and will be gorgeous soil next year.



The new iris bed has gotten a bit weedy since I left so that is another project on the list while I'm here.



My artichoke finally produced. It had a long hard spring so I don't blame it for waiting.

12 comments:

Nell Jean said...

They will not be too many when they bloom; they'll be glorious.

Randy Emmitt said...

Michelle,

Wow you have been busy with all those bulbs, guess you saw my list. I have right now 3 grocery bags full of bulbs to plants and so many crocus to boot. The soil is too wet to plant, maybe by Sunday it'll be good.

Lori Skoog said...

So you have arrived. That's a lot of bulbs! Did you go visit the sites of my new follower? His work is very beautiful. (I think it's a he). Enjoy your stay in Michigan.

tina said...

Hi Michelle, I am so glad you are using your name now. I always got confused on the screen name. Your beds look great! Spring will be wunderbar!

donna said...

Nice to know that you made it safely to MI and that you got your hands dirty as soon as you arrived. It's going to look very pretty around there come spring. Happy wedding to all of you.

allhorsestuff said...

Nice work in the garden! I am excited to see the wonderful display with you, come spring!

I had a chloe cat too...in miss still~
KK
PS
thanks for coming to visit me too!

Joanne said...

What a floral show you'll enjoy in the Spring! It's always such a welcome sight to see those early flowers after a long winter.

Chloe m said...

Michelle,
It just makes me glad I am done with the bulb planting. Oh my aching knees. Now, I just have to keep the squirrels away. can't wait to see your spring pics!
Rosey

Helen/patientgardener said...

My goodness that is alot of bulbs - looking forward to seeing pictures of your display next year.

sweetbay said...

So many bulbs! It's going to look wonderful!

Jo said...

I have a friend who once planted 400 tulip bulbs, and everyone laughed at him. However, when they came up in the spring, everyone stopped their cars outside his house to wonder at the beauty of the tulips.

Thank you for reminding me, I have to get my bulbs planted. Spring is not that far away. :-)

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's going to look beautiful. Can't wait to see all those daffodils in bloom. I thought I was doing good trying 2 varieties :)